- Education & Outreach
A Greener Winnipeg Folk Festival
Since the first gathering in 1974, the Winnipeg Folk Festival has cared about its impact on the environment. From awareness through folk songs to on-site operations, the festival has worked diligently to be an earth-friendly event.
In 1997, the festival was the first event of its kind to be certified by Canada’s Environment Choice Program with an EcoLogo as a green event. As we have grown through the years, we have taken on new initiatives and worked hard to reduce our carbon footprint.
At the 2012 Winnipeg Folk Festival, we’re being as mindful as ever about the environment. Here are some highlights of our initiatives, new and ongoing:
USING LESS ENERGY AND RESOURCES: We said goodbye to disposable plates in 1997 by introducing our Reusable Plate program, which saves more than 100,000 paper plates each year. That’s almost one million since the program’s inception!
USING LESS PLASTIC: In 2008, we introduced compostable cups, thanks to Manitoba Liquor Marts and Big Rock Brewery. All beverage cups served in the tavern are compostable.
CUTTING DOWN ON GARBAGE: More than 400 volunteers run our Recycling and Composting programs to reduce waste at the festival. Our Winnipeg Folk Festival mugs offer an alternative to disposable containers.
LOCAL ORGANIC FAIR TRADE (LOFT) COMMITMENT: With the support of local farmers, suppliers and our food vendors, we ensure that a significant amount of the food consumed at the festival is accessed through local, organic and fair trade sources.
ALTERNATIVE TRANSPORTATION: Whether by bike, public transit or shuttle bus, we offer many options for getting to and from the festival in a more environmentally conscious way.
RE-PURPOSING MATERIALS: Our Young Artists Program will be experimenting with this theme in 2012, check it out near the Hand-Made Village, where you’ll find many creations out of re-used materials. As well, our new “old” bar at Billy and Mike’s L’il Tavern was built by Wood Anchor with reclaimed wood from a Manitoba grain elevator.
It Is Easy Being Green:
REDUCE YOUR FESTIVAL FOOTPRINT!
• Use re-fillable containers for your beverages, such as our handy Winnipeg Folk Festival mugs and water bottles available at the music store, or bring your own.
• Fill your water bottle at one of our water taps.
• Carpool, rideshare or take the bus!
• While at one of our taverns, drop your compostable cup in our convenient Cupsuckers.
• Use your bike to come to the festival. We’ve got great racks!
• Visit our plate return booth to return your plate and compost your cutlery and leftovers.
• Buy from one of our LOFT vendors.
• Send us your ideas about how to be even greener! email@example.com
• Take care when disposing of your waste in our composting and recycling containers. Ask a volunteer for info if you need help.
• Donate to the Winnipeg Folk Festival to make things even greener! We would love to invest in carbon offsets, plant more trees and cut down on gas-powered vehicles, amongst many other improvements. Make a donation so we can realize even more earth-friendly changes!