- Education & Outreach
Bike Ride to Site
Applications are now full. Please click here if you would like to submit your name for the waiting list. You will be contacted if a spot becomes available for you.
Help reduce the Festival’s environmental impact – leave your car at home and join the Bike Ride to Site. 2013 will mark our fourth annual organized bike ride out to the Festival. The approximately two hour bike ride is a great chance to enjoy the outdoors and help reduce the Festival’s carbon footprint.
By 300 patrons participating in the Bike Ride to Site and not driving their vehicles all the way to Birds Hill Provincial Park; we save 1.55 metric tonnes of carbon dioxide each year. This is equal to the carbon sequestered by 40 tree seedlings grown for 10 years.
We can accommodate 300 riders in this bike ride. There will be three groups of 100 cyclists. The Casual Ride (15 km-17 km/h) would be ideal for beginner riders, those riding with bike carts or those who want a more relaxed ride. Big Blue Ride (17 km-20km/h) and Great Green Ride – now FULL – (17 km-20 km/h), these rides would be ideal for intermediate to advanced riders with a bit more experience riding. The Great Green Ride is already full, but there is still room in the Casual Ride and the Big Blue Ride. To guarantee that you are put in the ride best representing your riding level, make sure you sign up quickly! We cannot add any more spaces once a rides are full.
Remember: It’s not a race! All riders will have access to the campgrounds at the same time.
NEW for 2013: We will be departing from a new launch point – The Forks.
We have created a park and ride option for riders. You can now park your car in the designated parking area at The Forks for the entire Festival. Be sure to indicate if you require this service on your application. There are a limited number of spots available.
Things to Remember
- A safe ride van and volunteers will accompany each ride.
- All riders will have the option to load a maximum of two units onto a van to be delivered to the campground entrance (examples of a unit would be one standard sized cooler, one duffle bag, one backpack, etc.). We will not be able to accommodate or transport extra bags or coolers, so pack accordingly!
- Bring appropriate riding gear, a snack and plenty of water.
- Be a respectful, responsible, and safe rider.
- As of May 1st 2013, all persons under the age of 18 must legally wear a helmet. We also require all adults to wear a helmet.
- Have no more than two people riding side-by-side and that you stick with the group while riding.
- While on highway 59, you must ride in single file and not pass other riders.
- Riders will get priority entrance to the Festival Campground and Quiet Campground on Wednesday morning.
- It is not a race! Please be courteous to other riders. You will all get into the Campground at the same time.
- You will receive a confirmation email once you have registered for the Bike Ride to Site.
2013 Meet Up Times
Morning Ride from Winnipeg to the Festival
Departs Wednesday, July 10 at 5:45 AM (Meet at 5:15 AM)
Morning Ride from the Festival to Winnipeg
Departs Monday, July 15 at 10:00 AM (meet at 9:30 AM) and 11:00 AM (meet at 10:30 AM)