- Education & Outreach
Applications for 2013 media accreditation is now open. Click here to apply.
Images for editorial use are available on our Publicity Images page.
Media Services During the Festival
Media Services Crew and Media Tent are located next to Main Stage and is equipped with high speed Internet access. The Media Services Crew is there to help connect you with all the right folks for your stories and is arranges on-site performer interviews. Stop by the Media Tent anytime, or email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 204-222-5820.
Accredited media is not allowed to take video footage (including digital) except for accredited local TV affiliates, or those with advance written consent from the Winnipeg Folk Festival. No personal video cameras or digital video cameras are permitted.
All cameras must be clearly identified with media affiliation. Tape recorders may be used ONLY for interviews. Accredited media/photographers are not allowed on the stages, or behind any of the day stages. Film and video cameras must be accompanied by a Media Services Crew member at ALL times.
In most cases you may film a performer for only 30 seconds without his/her permission. Filming for more than 30 seconds requires the performer’s written permission. Photographing performers may be done during the first THREE songs of any set only. Please check with the Media Services Tent daily for each evening’s Main Stage photo restrictions.
Media Accreditation Policy
Please note that the Festival accredits a limited number of media. Even if you apply by the deadline, accreditation is not guaranteed. As a guideline, media outlets applying for accreditation to cover the Winnipeg Folk Festival must be in the business of news-gathering as its primary source of revenue. Individuals applying for accreditation must be professionally employed by news-gathering organizations.
For consideration for a media accreditation, a journalist must:
- have completed the accreditation application by the deadline;
- be a current, working journalist or photographer for a recognized local, national or international media outlet on assignment for the event.
The Winnipeg Folk Festival does not accredit freelance photographers, writers or web reporters without the following:
- an assignment letter on company letterhead detailing the actual assignment from the assigning editor, with his/her name and contact info;
- also, submission of these materials is not a guarantee of accreditation credential approval.
When issuing credentials, priority will be given to:
- daily newspapers (based on circulation);
- local television affiliates;
- magazines and weekly newspapers;
- approved and well-established websites (based on traffic);
- wire services (CP, Reuters, etc.).
Media accreditation is not transferable. The Winnipeg Folk Festival reserves the right to revoke media accreditation for unprofessional behaviour or conduct.