Applications will open in January!
Join the Folk Fest Family!
It’s no secret that the Winnipeg Folk Festival is bursting with pride over its volunteer community. Friendships and great music continue to bring together a community of volunteers dedicated to planning and producing a world-class festival.
Volunteering with the Winnipeg Folk Festival is a rewarding experience and a great way to support the festival!
Join our festival family!
PROSPECTIVE VOLUNTEER FAQS:
- The time commitment is a minimum of 16-20 hours for festival crews (and a minimum of 40 hours for year-round crews).
- Volunteers must be available for all four days of the festival.
- Actual shift lengths and times vary by crew, and can be discussed in detail with a crew coordinator when you are interviewed for a particular crew.
- The more complete your application is, the more likely you will be selected to volunteer and the better chance you will be placed on a crew that’s a good fit.
- When you apply, you will be asked to choose 3-5 crews that interest you. Not all crews have openings every year and this allows us to use your skills where we need them most. Visit our Crew Descriptions page for more information on all of our crews.
- Once you have applied, you will receive an acknowledgement email from us. It will give you some instructions that will help us keep in touch with you about your status.
- If you are selected for a crew, that crew’s coordinator will contact you directly to talk about their specific requirements and duties to make sure you are able to do the job.
- We will begin placing new volunteers on crews in March and hope to finalize our crews by May. That said, we will always have last minute openings and will be adding new volunteers right until the festival.
- Attending one of our job fairs will increase the likelihood of getting a volunteer position. Details will be emailed out to all applicants.
- There is NO GUARANTEE that applying to be a volunteer means we will have a position that fits your skills and preferences. If you’re willing to do any job, please check the box below the crew preferences in the application form.
Our Commitment to Volunteers
Volunteers are the heart of the Winnipeg Folk Festival. We value volunteering as a means for people to share, learn, and connect with our community. We greatly respect the time, skills and dedication that our volunteers bring to the festival each year. We are committed to providing appropriate and safe responsibilities, applicable orientation and training, effective leadership, fair evaluation and meaningful recognition for all volunteers as well as the opportunity to grow, create and engage with others.
What Do We Expect?
As members of our festival community, we all play an important role in the success of the Winnipeg Folk Festival. We bear a responsibility to ourselves, to others and to the organization to uphold the following Standards of Conduct:
We treat everyone with respect (responsibility for oneself)
- be kind and positive, to each other and the public
- contribute to healthy discussion and remain open to other points of view
- focus on solutions rather than problems
- adhere to all general Participant Responsibilities at the festival
We work as a team (responsibility to others)
- share views and information proactively
- offer help when needed
- engage in collaborative problem-solving
- express appreciation for the collective efforts of all
We are ambassadors of the Winnipeg Folk Festival (responsibility to the organization)
- contribute to the organization’s mission and vision
- represent the organization in a positive way, and encourage this positive behaviour in others
- respect the property and information of the organization
- celebrate, share and spread the Folk Fest feeling at the festival and year-round
In addition to these Standards of Conduct, we ask the following of all of our volunteers:
- Smile and have fun
- Know what’s expected of you and do your job to the best of your ability
- Fulfill all volunteer responsibilities
- Be prepared for all outdoor conditions as well as any specific requirements for your job
- Arrive on time or early for meetings and scheduled shifts ready to work
- Wear your crew t-shirt while you are on shift
- Wear your access pass for access to: Birds Hill Provincial Park, the festival site, meals backstage, the shuttle bus or Festival Express, the Wrap Up Party
- Make arrangements for the care of your children while you are on shift
- Ensure that you have eaten before your shift
- Not be under the influence of alcohol or drugs while on duty
- Drink responsibly while off duty
- Wait to reserve seating in any of the audience areas until after the gate opens
- Refer media questions involving policy or sensitive issues to festival staff
- Know how to contact your crew coordinator
- Keep your contact up to date with the festival and your coordinator
What Do We Offer in Return?
We offer a great benefits package to our volunteers that includes:
The opportunity to be part of creating a magical experience for over 80,000 people.
A chance to be part of a volunteer community and make new friends.
Great work experience.
A four-day Winnipeg Folk Fest pass with backstage access.
Delicious, complimentary meals backstage during the festival.
A crew T-shirt.
Free bus transportation between downtown Winnipeg and the Folk Fest site.
Vehicle access to Birds Hill Provincial Park.
Access to a private volunteer party on Sunday night.