We missed our volunteer family something fierce this past year. We are beyond grateful for the many messages of hope and encouragement, for those who purchased volunteer shirts and made donations, and for the year-round volunteers who gave their time and energy after the 2019 festival, all in good faith that we would come together soon. We can’t wait until we can share some of that festival magic with you again!
Volunteer registration is closed at this time. Please check back for updates as we plan for 2021.
Volunteering with the Winnipeg Folk Festival is a rewarding experience and a great way to support the festival!
Our Commitment to Volunteers
Volunteers are the heart of the Winnipeg Folk Festival. We value volunteering as a means for people to share, learn, and connect with our community. We greatly respect the time, skills and dedication that our volunteers bring to the festival each year. We are committed to providing appropriate and safe responsibilities, applicable orientation and training, effective leadership, fair evaluation and meaningful recognition for all volunteers as well as the opportunity to grow, create and engage with others.
What Do We Expect?
As members of our festival community, we all play an important role in the success of the Winnipeg Folk Festival. We bear a responsibility to ourselves, to others and to the organization to uphold the following Standards of Conduct:
We treat everyone with respect (responsibility for oneself)
- be kind and positive, to each other and the public
- contribute to healthy discussion and remain open to other points of view
- focus on solutions rather than problems
- adhere to all general Participant Responsibilities at the festival
We work as a team (responsibility to others)
- share views and information proactively
- offer help when needed
- engage in collaborative problem-solving
- express appreciation for the collective efforts of all
We are ambassadors of the Winnipeg Folk Festival (responsibility to the organization)
- contribute to the organization’s mission and vision
- represent the organization in a positive way, and encourage this positive behaviour in others
- respect the property and information of the organization
- celebrate, share and spread the Folk Fest feeling at the festival and year-round
In addition to these Standards of Conduct, we ask the following of all of our volunteers:
- Smile and have fun
- Know what’s expected of you and do your job to the best of your ability
- Fulfill all volunteer responsibilities
- Be prepared for all outdoor conditions as well as any specific requirements for your job
- Arrive on time or early for meetings and scheduled shifts ready to work
- Wear your crew t-shirt while you are on shift
- Wear your access pass for access to: Birds Hill Provincial Park, the festival site, meals backstage, the shuttle bus or Festival Express, the Wrap Up Party
- Make arrangements for the care of your children while you are on shift
- Ensure that you have eaten before your shift
- Not be under the influence of alcohol or drugs while on duty
- Drink responsibly while off duty
- Wait to reserve seating in any of the audience areas until after the gate opens
- Refer media questions involving policy or sensitive issues to festival staff
- Know how to contact your crew coordinator
- Keep your contact up to date with the festival and your coordinator
What Do We Offer in Return?
We offer a great benefits package to our volunteers that includes:
The opportunity to be part of creating a magical experience for over 80,000 people.
A chance to be part of a volunteer community and make new friends.
Great work experience.
A four-day Winnipeg Folk Fest pass with backstage access.
Delicious, complimentary meals backstage during the festival.
A crew T-shirt.
Free bus transportation between downtown Winnipeg and the Folk Fest site.
Vehicle access to Birds Hill Provincial Park.
Access to a private volunteer party on Sunday night.